The Top 5 Lies About Health And Nutrition That Can Make You Fat And Sick
Sep 15, 2018
How good is your health and nutrition knowledge?
Put it to the test.
- Olive oil is a healthy food – true or false?
- Lower-fat dairy products are better for you than full-fat dairy products – true or false?
- Milk and calcium supplements are needed in order to build strong bones – true or false?
- Starchy foods are fattening – true or false?
- People develop diabetes as a result of eating too much sugar – true or false?
- Genetics has little to do with whether or not you develop heart disease, cancer, or diabetes – true or false?
- Oils (including olive oil) are concentrated fat and calories
- Each tablespoon contains 130 calories and 14 grams of fat
- Oils contribute to weight gain, the development of atherosclerotic plaques, and coronary artery disease
- Lowering the fat in dairy products concentrates the protein content
- Dairy protein is linked to juvenile diabetes, asthma, allergies, constipation, chronic infections, osteoporosis, autoimmune diseases, and breast and prostate cancer
- Calcium needs are quite low – only 400-500 mg per day
- Calcium needs are easily met with plant foods – one medium-sized orange contains 110-120 mg of calcium
- The world’s healthiest populations eat diets based on starchy foods
- Rice is a staple food in China
- Okinawa – almost 70% of calories from sweet potatoes
- Fat in the diet is the biggest contributor developing type 2 diabetes
- Excess fat can be stored in the cells, making them more insulin resistant
- Fat is more calorie-dense, and contributes more to weight gain, a leading risk factor for type-2 diabetes
- Genes are responsible for about 2-3% of health outcomes
- Your diet and lifestyle habits are the primary determinants of your health or the development of disease
How did you do?